Twitter

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

"It's Been My Goal" SB Student Earns Gates Millennium Scholarship

Angelica Vasquez, "Angie," called by her teachers and friends, has recently realized her life-long goal and dream is about to become reality.  The South Bend senior has been admitted to the University of Washington and Gonzaga University, and will collect a scholarship to pay for everything, regardless of where she chooses to attend, valued at approximately $215,000.

"It makes me feel proud," says Angie, as she considers the fact that she will be the first person in her family (along with her twin sister, Alejandra) to attend college.  "As I think of the family I want someday, my future kids, I want them to have a better life," she continues.  A desire that has driven her motivation since she can remember, Angie wants to major in biology and become a surgeon.

With a nearly perfect GPA at 3.98, and having earned the honor of class Salutatorian, Angie is one of 1000 students (out of 52,000 applicants nationwide) to receive the Gates Millennium Scholarship.  The Gates Scholarship provides full tuition, books, living expenses, and transportation for any university Angie enrolls, and, has the potential to pay for graduate school.

"I've always wanted to be a doctor, and I knew keeping my grades up in school was the only way I could pay for college," says Angie as she reflected on the scholarship.  Her hard work is now paying off.

But it wasn't just hard work in school Angie has had to focus on.  She also has held an after school job since age 11.  Moving to Mexico at an early age, Angie worked in restaurants, bakeries, and other jobs she could find to help support the family.  Even now, she has worked at East Point Seafoods and currently Dairy Queen.  Though this is enough to keep most teens busy, Angie also spends time tutoring students after school in math, and ran for Pacific County Fair Queen this last year.

It is nice to see students set goals, achieve them, and receive even more reward than they may have set out for.  Angie serves as a great example to her peers as well as younger students following behind her.  

However, Angie and all other students at South Bend, are supported by caring, helpful staff that work tirelessly to provide help and assistance in not only teaching, but counseling, advising, and mentoring, making all the difference.  "Looking back I was supported by my teachers a lot," says Angie.  "Mrs. Sanchez has always given me good advice and Mr. Schroeder taught me a lot about life lessons and values."  "Mrs. Nelson has also helped me with a lot of things and played a big role (along with Mr. Bale and Ms. Camenzind) in helping me get this scholarship."  "The whole staff has been supportive of us here in South Bend."

Angie is an example of how hard work and determination leads to accomplishment.  She also is a testimony to the hard work of the South Bend school staff and community, who have invested time and care into her life.

To all the younger students at South Bend: set goals, work hard, and take advantage of the opportunities offered to you.  To the staff who work with our students each day: take a moment to be proud of the difference you make in the lives of our students, and carry on.

Good job, Angie.  And, good luck...  South Bend is proud of you.



5 comments:

  1. What an honor! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Angie! I am so happy for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Angie. What a great job you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,You don't know me and I don't know you but I have to say DAM GOOD JOB,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyyy Angie..I'm so proud of u. Love yah ur aunt

    ReplyDelete